What makes writing bad? A thousand answers exist to that question. While it’s always a good idea to focus on honing the writing craft in a positive direction, knowing what not to do can’t hurt.
The Bulwer Lytton contest has been showcasing disasters in fiction since the 80s. They’re cringe-worthy. They’re shocking. They’re hilarious. And they’re an interesting way to see what awful writing looks like.
Meanwhile, here’s some tips on being the best writer possible:
- Concrete Tips for Adding Tension, Suspense, & Intrigue to Any Story
- Should You Self-Publish Your Book? 5 Essential Questions to Help You Decide
- Don’t Fall Prey to The Dark Side of Good Writing Habits
- Is Your Premise Strong Enough? Are you sure?
- Road, Neighborhood, Sky: A Three-Layered Approach to Writing a Novel